View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Replacing W115 Rocker Panels: Spot Weld or Adhesive?

My 240 is in the body shop getting the usual rust tended to and some fresh paint. I'm quite sure that most of the rusting was the result of some idiots creating their own jack points.

The bulk of the work, then, is replacing the rocker panels.

I'm torn between two schools of thought about how they should be installed.

1. Use the tried and true spot weld method.
2. Go with a no-weld adhesive.

The body guy is leaning towards adhesive because he's confident that it's the least likely to rust in the future. His rationale is that even welding grade primer melts off during the weld and won't prevent weld seam rust. Also, once weld in place, it's nearly impossible to coat the entire inside of the panel.

He also pointed out that he had one heck of a time getting the front fenders removed. If the adhesive holds up half as well the glue holding the fenders in place, then the no-weld approach should be plenty stout enough to lasts for however many decades the car has ahead of it.

I do like welding because it's a known quantity and I've no first hand experience with the glue 'n go method. But given that even airplanes are assembled with epoxies these days, I'm willing to let him save me some money in labor and use the goo.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations either way?