View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML View Post
Thanks for this DIY write-up Roy. I read it over but I do not think that I need to pull out my rear window to fix a small leak I have in the lower right side. (What I see is some drops of water in the trunk when it is raining.) I had leaks in the lower corners of my front windshield and what I did was get the non hardening MB windshield caulking. I was able to slip the flat nozzle under the windshield gasket, pump in the caulking and it solved the problem beautifully.

I would like to do the same with the rear windshield but there is no room to get the nozzle under the gasket. Can I take out the chrome trim, which I assume is holding everything tight, get some caulking under the gasket, then replace the chrome trim? Before I start to pry, pull and possibly do some damage, I thought it would be wise to ask for some advice from someone that has had this apart.

Richard
Sorry, it is not possible to remove the chrome trim from an old windshield gasket, without wrecking the gasket.

Note the attached graphic of the windshield chrome cross section, it seats in a locking channel = once the glass/gasket/chrome assembly is installed, "there is a limited time window to make adjustments before the gasket becomes hardened".
Attached Thumbnails
REAR windshield seal W116, 123, 126-w123-cross-section-windshield-seal-chrome.jpg