View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Not much difference between a 1,000 mile trip, and 20 local trips of 50 miles. Actually, the 1,000 mile trip probably requires fewer starts.

Unless you know of any chronic issues, such as a slow leak in a tire, or a battery that needs to be jump-started every few days, you should be good to go.

Take enough money to cover fuel, food and beverage.
x2.

Highway use is easier on the vehicle than around town. If the car consistently makes it 50+ miles without overheating or otherwise breaking, I characterize that as a reliable vehicle that will probably make it 500+ miles without breaking.

Taking it out on the highway and cruising at 70 will be good for the car. You don't do it any favors by trying to protect it from use, and a perfect example here is that you clearly don't really trust the car, or you wouldn't ask this question.
I say do it, and if something goes wrong, address the problem and be prepared, but its unlikely you will have a problem.

Personally I prefer to do stupid road trips in untested vehicles. Makes life more interesting, makes a trip into a journey. just drove my 74 240 400+ miles on a failing alternator, and loved the drive. Previous use of the car had been a grand total of 65 miles over a year.