View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Maņana turkeer

please, please, please help me with this. i have read this thread, as well as several others, and i am totally baffled as to what atf i should be using. i have never bought atf in my life, and the last time i even drove a car with an automatic was back in the 1980's.

so let me preface my question with this:
car is a 1985 300TD wagon.
transmission is: 722 315 (full number on trans: 123 270 78 01 722 315 02 587221)
i recently bought the car, so i drained the trans and torque converter, changed the filter, and am ready to add atf.
i have not driven the car for any length of time/mileage, so i am preparing myself for leaks. in that respect, i am looking to add inexpensive atf at this time. in the future i want to go to full synthetic amsoil or redline, but for now, i just want to be able to drive the car and diagnose any leaks or trans issues before i spend big dollars on synthetic.
i would also like to know which atf to put in the power steering.
i have been to 3 auto parts stores, looking at the myriad of atfs that are available. i have almost no clue as to what to buy. some do say that they meet MB spec 236.1 and 236.11, but is that the spec i am looking to meet? others say NOT for use with MB spec 236.4 and 236.8.
listed below are all the atfs i have seen and are readily available to me. please, please, please help me choose one, as i would like to get the car on the road by the end of the week.
i apologize if this is another "beating a dead horse" topic, but when people say "buy the usual fluid" or just "the cheap stuff", that really does not help me. not looking for another debate on this, just some guidance as to what to purchase.
thanks a lot!

Car Quest:
-high mileage Dex/Merc: meets dexron II, IIE, IIIG IIIH
-Type FA: older Fords
-Dex/Merc: meets dexron II, IIE, IIIG, IIIH, NOT for dexron VI
-ATF +4: meets +, +2, +3, +4, for chrysler
-Mercon V: meets ford mercon V, mercon, dexron III, and then lists most every automobile manufacturer including mercedes benz

O'Reilly:
-valvoline dexron mercon: meets dexron III and all previous dexron standards, mercon
-valvoline mercon V: meetc mercon V or dexron III/mercon, NOT for type F
-o'reilly dexron VI: meets dexron II, III, VI
-o'reilly multi-purpose: meets IIIG, IIIH, II, IID, IIE, mercon, CJ
-o'reilly global multi vehicle: meets mercon SP, dexron VI, atf +4. meets MB spec 236.1, 236.11. NOT for MB spec 236.4 or 236.8
-Lucas semi synthetic: NOT for MB 236.12
-valvoline full synthetic import: meets MB NAG-1, meets MB 236.1 and older

AutoZone:
-dex/merc: meets dex II, IIE, IIIG, IIIH, NOT for dex VI
-dex/merc: meets dexron II, III, mercon
-Type F: ford
-atf +4, meets atf +, +2, +3, +4, for chrysler
-dex VI: meets dex II, III
-multi vehicle synthetic: lists as working for "all vehicles"