View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
smoke gets in your eyes

I haven't read of anyone having problems running ATF of any Dexron or Dex specification. So generally, any ATF with Dexron or Dex in its label should be okay. Purists note that coincident with the expiration of the Dexron license, Mobil 1 ATF "smells different." Folks whose musings I follow regarding ATF gravitate towards Redline Synthetic ATF (as printed on the label, not just any Redline Synthetic ATF) and Redline D4 ATF. Amsoil quality aside, its mention incites debate about direct marketing and pyramid schemes

To stir things up, I've heard good things about Swepco 714 ATF (available through Pelican Parts) and the only mention of Dexron on the label is something like "Can replace DEXRON fluids in on-highway applications"

As for power steering fluid, I read that post-86 systems should use power steering fluid rather than ATF. Power steering fluid won't hurt earlier systems. I prefer power steering fluid because it's typically clear or had a very light tint so it tells you when it's been in service too long. Valvoline used to offer a claimed synthetic power steering fluid available everywhere for only a little more than 'regular' power steering fluid. I don't see synthetic power steering fluid on a regular basis in generic part stores anymore. Personally, I flush with a gallon of cheap power steering fluid then fill with Febi power steering fluid.

Sixto
87 300D