Thread: Heat Stove.
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local2ED View Post
A pellet stove can not use logs and vise versa. Pellets are recycled hardwoods I believe. If its a pellet stove it should have an auger that feeds the pellets to a fire pot which burns the pellets by blowing air through the firepot. Pellets are OK but I believe corn produces more heat. I am not sure if all pellet stoves can burn corn though. I forgot to add that a pellet stove can run about 18hrs on one hopper full (depends on size of hopper) where as a wood stove needs periodic tending.
Your close, it does blow air to ignite the pellets but it also has an igniter as well. There are some multi fuel stoves that will burn just about anything you throw in it. There are three blends of fuel, hardwood,hard/soft wood and soft wood. Hard wood will give you the most heat. We installed one last year and love it. Our stove puts out 50,000 Btu and heats the whole house; our furnace has been used twice in the past year and a half. The only down side to a pellet stove is if you have a power outage and you don't have a generator your screwed.