View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Jim,
I don't envy you your volunteer job. Much like I know I am not cut out to be a caregiver but I appreciate those who can do such a task, I appreciate the task moderators have set for themselves.
IMO, lumping all political threads into a single one would probably destroy OD. I agree with Brian that the infraction system is the better way to police the activity. I'd say you do not need to debate or argue with the offender, just PM the offender with the point assessment and brief explanation. If the offender complains, hit him with another infraction. It can only go on for a few rounds before they will have banned themselves. You may see players argue with an NFL official, but if its too much, out comes the yellow flag, and another penalty is assessed. People soon learn to respect the officials. Same with you guys--respect the moderators and the rules, or leave.

I like the debate and give-and-take in OD. I like reading from people who see things totally differently from me. OTOH, I do not like reading the links to propaganda as they don't further the issue, but rather obscure it.

I guess my suggestions are:
1) USE the infraction system, and don't try to discuss its merits.
2) Separate OD points from tech group points ( if any) --there are people whose technical contributions are worth this concession.
3) Call any thread starter that contains ONLY a link, and no supporting statement from the OP ( or a generic 'read this' ) as a troll, close the thread, and award infraction points.
4) Remember, YOUR judgment is final. You took the thankless job, don't make it any more difficult than it is.
5) Patronize Pelican Parts.