View Single Post
Old 10-21-2002, 03:32 PM

Travis,

I have a 1990 300 SL. I purchased the car in March of 2000. The AC unit was a constant problem. It would run cold for an hour or two and then blow warm. Numerous checks showed no leaks and my dealer wouldn't fix it because it ran fine for the short drives he used to test it. I went to a shop in Florida that diagnosed the problem as a bad relay and it later turned out this wasn't the cause. I finely went to an independent Mercedes shop reccomended by this forum. It turned out that the problem was a bad expansion valve and the mechanic highly reccomended I do the R134 conversion at the same time. I can't say what the future will bring, but with some of the hottest weeks this summer, the cooling was great. Most of the time, no matter how high the temperature, I only needed to set the fan speed at one or two. If I left it on automatic, I would freeze. I know that he did replace a read fan switch which he said was necessary on the R129 conversions. I believe it kicks one of the radiator fans on a bit earlier.

Bob