View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 PM

I have lost several pets over the years and living on a farm as a kid some were accidents, road injuries, and some were in the vets office like your situation today. I used to always be so upset but as I grew older I began to understand that this is absolutely normal, it is the true cycle of life. I have never met a person or animal that I knew was going to live forever, no matter who they were or how much I loved them. Now that I have fully accepted that, instead of dreading the day they leave me, which is a selfish reaction, I think about their lives while they are with me. I say selfish because, since it is a normal part of the cycle of life, we have no way of knowing what comes next, transitioning into death could very well be just the next step, or an even more wonderful experience than we have in life, we just don't know.
By posting here and saying how sad this event makes you, that is proof that you have been a good "parent" to this special little one, you have touched each other's lives. Just remember that this isn't happening only to you, everyone responding has been in the same situation and felt the same pain, and even right now, I can assure you that there are other people sitting in vet's offices, and also people sitting next to their wife or husband, son or daughter in a hospital bed about to say their goodbyes. There is someone also getting bad news that their child died in a car accident, or a grandfather suffered a heart attack, I am not trying to be morbid but rather to show you that everyone in the world shares these emotions with you, you are not alone. We must accept that this is natural, normal and that it will happen to us to one day. So I guess what I am saying is you are sad today and you will be sad when your buddy is gone, but you have had many wonderful days together and will have many memories of that time to comfort you. Be well and I wish you comfort.