View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Thanks all.
My only real objection to the generator was that it was another piece of gas-powered equipment that I need to store and maintain. The inverter is just a box that mounts under the hood--out of sight, out of mind.

If the engine in my large ( 18HP) Cub Cadet hadn't taken a crap a few months ago, I'd get the generator head and mount it on the front PTO. But that's another story.
Most any inverter you are going to mount under the hood and expect to be able to run any power tools from is going to cost as much if not more than the Honda EU2000. Plus you will have to run the vehicle motor constantly using way more fuel than a generator. You will also need to add a second battery if you don't already have one. I work in remote locations often and my solution is a good set of cordless tools, with a small plug in inverter (400 watts) to charge them if needed, and the honda if I need constant power for a saw or something similar. The Honda 2000 will run a wormdrive skilsaw, but you have to let the blade spin for a second before you start cutting, and be careful not to bind the blade. Other than that it runs any drill, grinder, sawzall, etc with no problem. I have wired numerous houses with the generator as my source of power and am always impressed with the low noise, low fuel usage, and low maintenance needed. If you have your heart set on an inverter I have a Trace 2000 watt I'll make you a deal on!