View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Is there a car forum that discusses reapirability

of new cars?

Just had a VERY frustrating day. I've been after my MIL to let me change the Timing belt on her 2003 Honda Civic. ( I know its not a new car...)

I did the belt on the wife's Hyundai Elantra a few months ago, and it was a piece of cake. Nothing unusual--just remove and replace parts.

The Honda was frustrating from the beginning. I couldn't brake the crank nut loose. I tried a 1/2" dr Air Impact, 1/2" dr electric impact, and even rented a 3/4" dr electric impact. Nothing touched it. No real way to get a breaker bar and cheater on it, and no way for one guy working alone to hold the pulley from turning while breaking loose the nut. I even tried a porta-power wedge under the pulley to keep it from turning--with no success.
Then I backed off and thought I'd only replace the 2 drive belts. Look! they use a captive screw for belt tension adjustment--just like on my 300SD--except Honda put a wing screw to make it even easier. Not! There is no room for my hands to get in there. I am bloodied and badgered, but I got the tensioners loose and replaced the belts--in about 3 hours! Ridiculous amount of time for such a routine and simple service. If I had done the timing belt, I would have been at it all night.

So the question is, Is there a web site that rates cars on ease of DIY repairs? I sure would like to have that information before I make that purchasing decision.