View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 03:31 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerSD View Post
The Whine has now become a very loud violent rattle from the rear. Transmission is trying to turn the drive shaft while in park.

Please refer to http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/307798-wtb-transmission-79-450-sel.html
What does it do to stay in park?

I mean the brake bands should be released, and the clutch packs should also be released. There's a freewheel thingy on the output shaft that should also be engaged in a single rotation direction (I'm not 100% sure how this bits works yet). And so long as the shifting mechanism is properly adjusted the park pawl should be in place on the output shaft.

If you are sure it is really trying to drive the shaft in park then it sounds like something is engaging when it shouldn't... BUT have you tried it in neutral?

As far as I know there are two main bits in these transmissions in the "rear"...

1) The secondary pump (which can be accessed from outside of the transmission)
2) The governor which on these 'boxes can't.

Nasty thought - have you removed the propshaft and checked the back end of the transmission? Is the output shaft nut still in place? (If this falls off then the clearance of the whole transmission is put out)

If you want some pictures of the internal bits have a look at this thread

722.118 Automatic transmission rebuild (Monster DIY)
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!