View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 02:01 PM

Where do you live? I wonder if you live in a Northern climate that is harder on suspension components?

Warped rotors will cause braking vibrations. You should be able to tell if its front or rear.

If the car is sensitive to wind, you may want to check shocks/struts. They can test okay bounce-wise but still be bad.

Does the back end seem to have a mind of its own and steer the car? Its possible that your subframe mounts are collapsed. They collapse internally. One check is to see how close the large metal washers are to the rubber itself. They should be apart! If it isn't, the mount has collapsed internally. Most shops know nothing about subframe bushings.

Right side spring will be closer to the strut on EVERY 124 car I've ever seen. Even if its a brand new spring.

The shop should be able to determine if a ball joint is bad. Its possible that your front lower control arm bushings are bad.

A lot of well-meaning mechanics will not correctly diagnose suspension problems. Especially possible if the car you're driving has spent any length of time in a climate where they're not from.

I would have another mechanic and/or alignment shop check it. I've been to MANY alignment shops that never said a word about worn components. In my case, the dealer shop foreman pronounced by front lower control arms as "shot" yet a very respected mechanic thought they were fine.

Brian