View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7fan View Post
If I were on the hunt; I would hold out for a low mileage 1995 model. Those were the last year of the TBI set-up, an absolutely bullet-proof engine management system. Very easy to work on and diagnose. Parts for them are cheap as well. The Vortec's from 96 to old body 99 had fuel pump issues, leaking intake gaskets, reaction shell (trans) problems, a/c compressors leaked, pinion brgs failed, also had a healthy appetite for brake linings. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad trucks, just more problematic than their predecessors.
The hissing is most likely the air trying to push past a closed or stuck flapper. I have to go through all the setting a time or two when mine does this.

I have two of this body style beyond 1995. A 96 and a 99. THe 96 has 210k on it still clicking along. THe 99 has 150k. The only problems out of either were intake gaskets every 100k. The 96 was at 86k and 192k. I have replace a fuel pump once on the 96. THe brake about every other year. Brake parts for front run about $150 total. pads and rotors, I can change them in a about an hour. Other than that I have no complaints out of either of them. These are big heavy vehicle that also drink gas at a fair clip but not bad considering the size and wight. I run about 12-13 mpg in town and 17-20mpg on the highway. Both 350ci 4X4 models with a 3.42 rear. If you get a 2wd add about 2-4mpg to those figures.
86 300SDL. 250,xxx on #14 Head. One eye always on temp gauge.. Cruising towards 300K