View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 07:07 PM
someguyfromMaryland

Sorry, I got sidetracked and didn't answer your questions.

1. I leave trannies for the pros.

2. See post above.

3. The 4matic is built more like an S class in the drivetrain and suspension than the normal 124's. The springs in front are specially wound with an opening for the driveshaft, the control arms are much more massive, as are the steering knuckles. Overall it is a much more solid riding car than the regular 124's.

4. You really need a manual to get the full flavor of the auto levelling system. Basically, the hydraulic pump provides pressurized fluid to a hydropneumatic compensator which is mounted between the diff and the chassis. When there is motion between the two, a linkage provides feedback to the compensator to allow more or less fluid under pressure to the rear suspension pressure spheres, which act as surge volumes for the shocks.

5. I don't know, you're looking for someguyfromFlorida. 8^)

6. Flushing the actual 4matic system isn't for the faint of heart. The manual references a test module that actually cycles the hydraulic computer and moves the fluid through the system while parked in the shop. I've never had the nerve to price one. The diffs and xfer case can be drained and refilled like any other gearbox, although the front diff doesn't have a drain plug so you need to get a new gasket for the pan before you start.

7. Fastlane is a good place to start if you're looking for parts. There are others, but mentioning them on this list is, to me, like farting in church.

8. The only oil I use in my 4matic is 15W-40. The newer grades are probably much better now, but when I first got into MBs in '96 I read some really good articles on oil and viscosity enhancers. MB recommended 15W-40 back before they went to Mobile 1 for the newer cars. I just rebuilt the top end on my 4matics M103 with new valve guides, seals, etc.. and there was no other problems besides the expected valve guide wear. If you like spending money, use Mobile 1 and change it twice a week. You'll also get the thread started about "Will my engine leak more if I switch to synthetics?". That's always fun to watch.

HTH,

someguy