Thread: Net wire
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 AM
ĦAy Jodido!

Now you're talkin' my language. I have lots of goats, both dairy and meat breeds. Many grand champions and many with permanent milk stars on their pedigrees. I'm a licensed judge for several goat breed registries.Capra Aegagrus Hircus is underappreciated in this country. Worldwide, far more people live on goat milk and meat than that which comes from cattle. As dairy animals, goats provide far better feed conversion (the amount of milk produced from the amount of feed consumed) than dairy cows, they are much less fussy about feed than cattle and in small scale production can breed and milk for a dozen years. Goat meat is very mild in flavor, lean and very high in Omega 3 and 6 fats.
Encourage the kid to get to know a vet who will treat goats. Many won't, even large animal vets often will claim ignorance, even though the ailments that affect most dairy cattle and other ruminants are all pretty similar. Nine out of ten ailments are going to be either digestive or lactation related. Direct them to this, the absolute best personal dairy goat website I have found:
Fias Co Farm- Dairy goats, Cheesemaking
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting