View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 01:25 PM

Mike,

You and I are both "self-employed" for all practical purposes, and I see bi-weekly, with my tax deposits, exactly how much money in taxes are paid. Most "employees" don't have the benefit of that insight.....and many probably do not care.

"I didn't have to pay *any* taxes last year, I got money back"

I LOVE that line! Yeah, right!

I suppose it all depends on one's perspective. They should do away with the process of "witholding" and have folks write one check for the whole years taxes on April 15th! That would wake some people up.

My business has survived for over ten years....not because of anything the government has given me (except maybe the environment to conduct business without a major war, being drafted, etc.) and I worry about that day when the majority of voters fall off the tax rolls. At that point, they can "vote" themselves more government benefits whenever they want.

I am 37 and do not expect any social security "benefits" to be there for me when I retire.....they'll boost the age to 80 by that time anyway! I am planning for my own financial future and not counting on any bureaucrat's promise for any financial security.

I am wholeheartedly in favor of a significant reduction in the size and scope of government. This will result in lower taxes FOR ALL as well.

This year, I am voting Libertarian.