View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM
ROLLGUY

That IP definitely has the rack position sensor. Does your engine have the trap oxidizer? If not, someone could have put in an entire engine, or just a later IP. If I remember correctly, the '81 SD's did NOT have an air cleaner drain tube in the oil pan, but just had the breather hose going into the air intake pipe. The '85 CA emissions engines (or any other with trap ox) did not have an air cleaner drain tube either. Someone could have used a later engine and just used the turbo, manifolds, and air cleaner from the '81 engine.
I needed an engine for my '82 that needed the drain tube, but all I had available at the time was a low mileage wrecked '85. I had to use the upper pan from the blown '82 engine on the '85 block. I also changed out the IP and the trans adapter plate, as the IP had the RPS and the adapter plate had the crank (flywheel) sensor.
That reminds me, does your engine have any evidence of the crank sensor on the trans adapter plate? If so, I would have to say you definitely have an '85 engine.