View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM
<- Ryuko of Kill La Kill

New 12K Standby Generator Install

I picked up a Honeywell (Generac) 12.5 k generator a few weeks ago and since it's getting on towards Winter and ice, SWMBO gave me direct orders to get it installed ASAP.

I thought I'd document the process here in case anyone was interested and you can see how much trouble it is. I wouldn't want to guess how much it would cost to have it installed by someone else!

First step is installing the automated transfer switch. This looks like a likely location - Easy access, out of the way...

OK, the "boss" said it can't go by the door so I'll put it over on the wall:

Conduit run, wire pulled from main breakers:

Final wiring:

The old generator is now mobile with a set of wheels and provides power for me to work while the mains are disconnected from the house.

Next I moved on to the actual generator install. First I removed the old housing and cleared the old concrete pad of debris:

Next I dug the holes for the posts and the new protective enclosure and larger pad:

Forms for the concrete slab:

After the concrete was poured and set:

Setting the new generator in place:

And completing the shelter:

The housing on the generator is fully weatherproof but I wanted to give it some extra protection against falling limbs and other debris.

Next step will be to run the LP feed and then dig the trench to bury the feed and control cables.

Stay tuned!

Benz Fleet:
1968 UNIMOG 404.114
1998 E300
2008 E63

Non-Benz Fleet:
1992 Aerostar
1993 MR2
2000 F250