View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM

'82 240D won't start AGAIN!

so after what seemed like an epic amount of trouble shooting i had just gotten my 240D started. in the end it had a strip fuse to the glow plugs blown, but it was putting in a new fuel filter, bleeding the lines (took a few cycles through teh cyldiners to bleed them) and possibly tightening up the connections to the glow plugs that got it started in the end.

i drove it to and from work (an hour + each way) and it was fine. on the way home stopped for a second and when i got back teh battery was dead. had a spare charged battery on me by luck, put it in, drove home. now it won't start again. turns over but won't catch.

background: just swapped engine on the car about a month ago. ran for a day after the swap and i drove it two hours home. wouldn't start after that and it sat for about three weeks while i troubleshot. it was turning over but not catching. finally got it running two days ago and drove for a day and now same symptoms.

the reason the battery was dead yesterday was because there was no VR in the alternator. i've put one in, and it seems to be in good condition. the car turns over but won't catch (same exact problem i was having before). although there was old fuel in the car (it sat for a year before the swap) i'm assuming i couldn't have soiled a new fuel filter already? right? although i've never gotten it to empty i've topped it at a 1/2 tank twice.

the battery is fully charged. its pouring rain and its dark and i'm doing this by myself, but i'm pretty sure when i crack the cylinders and try turning it over no fuel is coming out. ran down the battery trying to bleed the lines. anyone have thoughts while it charges? air in the lines again? where could it be coming from? better way to bleed the lines?

(you can follow the old thread at '77 240D Can't start it).