View Single Post
Old 03-28-2000, 10:37 PM

Yeah, don't worry about repacking the bearings on a 124. The rotors are held on by a 5mm (I believe) allen screw. Just unbolt the caliper and hang it out of the way then remove the allen screw and the rotor will come off. Sometimes the rears can get stuck, but just take a soft hammer to them from the rear and they will break loose. You might have to adjust the parking brake shoes though. For that you'll need to stick a flatblade screwdriver through the opening in the hub and turn the starwheel either up or down. I can't remember which way but try it both ways and see which way loosens the tension. Just for future reference, if you ever do decide (or need) to repack the bearings, I always always use the Mercedes grease. It comes in a tube and is neon green in color. Available readily at your local parts counter (or through parts shop). Also, be sure to get some of the Mercedes anti squeal paste (comes in little packets) to apply to the pad backings. Two packets should be enough for four pads. Use them half and half for each pad. Put the paste on the backing and a little on the top and bottom edges, but be careful not to get any on the material itself, just on the slide points. Hope this helps!

Aaron Greenberg
MB technician
Precision Motorcars, Cincinnati, Ohio
'67 250SE Cabriolet
'77 450SL
'80 300SD
'85 380SE
'89 420SEL
'93 300E 2.8
'74 Jensen Interceptor Mk.III
'81 DeLorean DMC12
'85 BMW 745i Turbo