View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolovic View Post
Not being much of a minwax fan, I have to ask why you used it, since it's water based, and the varnish is oil based, and would be much harder to match. Do you know of any oil based stains that are supposed to work? Did you work off of a DIY sheet? Was that here?
I did get the idea from a DIY sheet here (not sure if it's still here, I'll search later), although I ended up basically just using trial and error (and for the actual varnish part I followed Epifanes' instructions). I just picked the stains based on the colors I wanted. Actually the first time I did this, I used Magnalac precatalyzed lacquer, laid in on way too thick, and it crazed once the wintertime came (hard lesson, hours of work down the drain). I stripped it all off then had to restain it, which was different this time because the veneer was a little thinner, I guess, having been sanded again. That's when I added the gel stain to the mix, because the MinWaxs were coming out too light and the gel "stuck" a little better to the wood. And I topped it off with the Zar because it didn't have quite the red hue I wanted. To be honest, I have zero woodworking experience so I pretty much just guessed and kept improvising if it didn't come out the way I wanted. I did not have to match it with existing wood though, since I was refinishing all of it at once, so I think that made it a lot easier. I did have to use a little bit different balance of stains on the custom piece because the veneer took the stain a bit differently than the factory bits.
(sorry to hijack thread ... )
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)