View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Manual rear view mirror aftermarket replacement

Replaced my '99 ML320 mirror with a $20 KSource, FIT system, DN100.
My Donnolly 011530 was obscured by creeping yellow fluid.

Donnolly is banko and repairs are handled by Sybesma at $95 but they have no cores.

Frankly, I never noticed it working anyway.

Removal instructions are AR68.40-P-0001GH but the secret is to turn the mirror side layer of the windshield base 1/4 turn clockwise (by hand or with water pump pliers) for very easy removal.

I broke up the mirror by drilling a couple 1/4" holes at the join line and prying as I didn't want to shatter the mirror and release the possibly toxic fluid.

The plastic housing is screwed to the articulated arm with a 12/24 machine screw.
Disassemble.
Next, buy a cheap mirror at our sponsor's or O'Reilly's and cut the ball and arm off leaving as much stub protruding from the mirror as possible.
Drill a .177" tap hole less than 1/2" deep down the center of the stub as you're penetrating the threaded portion of the bolt holding it together (dis-assembly was not possible).
Thread the hole with a 12/24 tap and lock-tite in a longer machine screw.
Cut the screw off with less than 1/2" protruding and lock-tite your new stud into the MB arm.
Twist the unit back on to the windshield and you have a manual dimming mirror that works.
Attached Thumbnails
Manual rear view mirror aftermarket replacement-0001-small-.jpg  

Last edited by whunter; 12-22-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling, add image