View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 11:17 PM

It was the brushes.

The motor and fans for a 1994 w124 cost $199/ The motor and fans for the 1995 w124 cost $400. MB parts does not sell the motor without the squirrel cage fans. I had the new motor on hand. Here's what I found in the old motor. First, it was the motor, not the regulator or control panel. WHen I first applied 12v to the motor, nothing happened. The good news is that we now knew where the problem was. The brushes were worn down to little nubs and evidently not touching the commutator. But, I pushed the brushes down in thier holder, and the motor spun merrily.
The motor was not built with renewing brushes as a possability. It might be possible to open the brush holder and get at the brushes, and make new brushes, and install them after removing the fans, but the cost to have this done at a motor shop (especially since it appears that the brushes were not designed to be replaced) would be prohibitive.
faced with the prospect of needing the car back together to pick up the kids from school, and the $400 replacement motor, I put the old motor back in place after giving the brushes another push towards the commutator. We shall see if it lasts a month or a year. It worked fine all day today. Thanks for the help.
-Paul T