View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 AM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitizz View Post
Does this technique apply to rear axle boots as well. I may be a little dull, but I cant seem to get a clear understanding of how the boots are being handled with the cone in the pictures and description. Are they being shoved in from above and squeezed through the small opening? Or is the cone only used to push them through the can? Or over the can?

I have a replacement FEBI boot kit for a rear axle 85 300TD W123. It also came with a new can. Is it worth replacing it as well? any DIYs that include that process?
Thanks all
EDIT: I just read this persons DIY: Changing CV Boots for your W123 Mercedes-Benz.

Im wondering now about an axle replacement. Ive been driving on a torn boot since last spring at least. I dont notice any noise however and the movement of the joint still seems OK. The other outer boot (left side) looks intact but has lost its oil. I may try a boot replacement on that one and replace the whole axle on the right side.

Is there any way to know by feel or sound (with the car jacked up already and wheels, rotors removed and axle out of the hub) if there is wear? Whats the worst that can happen with a worn CV joint if it were reassembled with a new boot?

Thanks again
Michael
As just having done this a few days ago on my own 300TD I can help you, although the posted video will probably convey it more clearly.

My method has been:
-soak a boot in close to boiling water for 5+ min
-shake excess water from boot and add the next boot to the water
-apply a small amount of gear oil to cone and spread it around
-take two small paper towel sections, one in each hand and fold a bit of the larger end of the cone around my fingers (imagine putting on nylons, that type of hold.... not that I have ever put on nylons)
-the halfshaft is already held vertically on a bench
-with your third hand put the cone on the axle
-position the boot on the top of the cone
-with one quick motion pull the boot down the cone and over the axle can

DONE.

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]