View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 11:45 AM

1987 190D Turbo 5 speed in progress ... little questions

Hi guys, Thought I'd stop hijacking ashedd's post and throw this one up. I am on the friendly side of my 5 speed 190DT swap and have a few little details I need to suss out .... hopefully you guys can help and I'll have a growling stick sift for the new year!

Currently the auto trans is out, and everything for the manual is in except the 5 speed itself. I need to replace the rear engine oil seal and am confused about a few things.

1. What sealant should be used on the rear oil seal cover? Is it an easy pop old out, put new in job?

2. I got a cap and spacer ring for behind the pilot bearing from the dealer. I've read it's needed but have heard very little mentioned by others putting MT in their cars. Mercedes said the cap was for 602 and 603 engines but the spacer ring only came up for the gas engines. Should I put both in? Just the cap? Or forget it all together?

3. What threadlocker or other sealant will I need for the manual trans pieces to go in?

3. Any tricks to breaking flywheel bolts and keeping the engine from turning?

4. There is a metal plate on the bottom side of the shift assembly that seems to be loose. Should this be tightened? Or is it supposed to stay loose to have play when shifting?

5. Anyone have a good description of how to rewire the neutral safety switch and reverse light wires?

Those are the last annoying bits ... fingers crossed!