View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Unhappy

Got a look at the part number on the head today- not enough light to see it perfectly, but looked like it was 20. Definately not 14.

Cylinder #2 is clearly not firing- have swapped a couple different injectors, no difference. Compression tests for #2 reveal a low while hot in the low 300's, up to about 400 cold. All other cylinders are in the mid 400's. I haven't been able yet to determine why it's low, but I just don't understand why it's not firing. MB has a min spec of around 265, so I would think with these values even though there is a problem, it would still fire. It also looks to me like someone in the past may have tried to remove/move the #2 nozzle on the injection pump using a chisel (nothing should surprise me anymore).

Talked with the PO trying to get a little more info, and I may have found the reason for the low compression. He mentioned that he thought the engine was running under temp, and he tried to get it to run hotter by placing cardboard in front of the radiator! All I found was the monovalve was inoperative. I think this was his misguided attempt to increase cabin heat, possibly sacrificing that beautiful new head!

1991 350SD