View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 AM

A Cheapskate Calibrates His Torque Wrench

Given (a) I only wanted to buy a cheap torque wrench and (b) I live in fear that a cheap torque wrench will get me into trouble (as it did several years ago when I snapped an oil filter canister bolt ), I found an easy way to make sure my wrench is basically within spec. You more experienced types will know all this, but for novices like me this may prove helpful.

I was inspired by the following video: How to Check the Calibration Accuracy of Your Torque Wrench (Video 2) - YouTube

Since I don't even own a vise, I did the following:

1. Got a bolt with a 1/2" head (the largest one that my 1/4" wrench would fit) and tightened it as tightly as I possibly could into some metal shelving (i.e. far tighter than any of the torque values on my wrench).

2. Got a 5 lb. and 10 lb. dumbbell and weighed them exactly on a digital scale.

3. Measuring 9" from the center of the wrench head and using the weights individually and in combination, I came up with torque values of 45, 92, and 137 in-lbs., covering the mid-range of the wrench which is 20-200.

4. Then, hanging the weights with wire from the 9" point on the wrench handle, I was able to confirm that the wrench is within spec.

Kind of fun to do and gives me peace of mind.

19 Honda CR-V EX 61k mi
Fourteen other MB's owned and sold
1961 Very Tolerant Wife