View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
...like a shield of steel

How to find the numbers on the parts

It has just occurred to me that perhaps not everyone knows how to find the part numbers on the parts.

First things first. The chassis number or VIN. For model identifiaction purposes you need to find the Mercedes VIN - I understand that in the US there is sometimes a US VIN. This is of no use to you if you want to extract information from the PDF file I've posted above.

An example of the "good" chassis number / VIN is

WDB 123 130 blah blah blah (where blah blah blah will be more numbers)

From the PDF in the first post you can see that the 123 130 blah blah blah chassis numbers are for

(W123) 300D

BUT you can also see in the same file that there are several other 300D variations out there. So sometimes someone might be selling something from a "300D" but it won't necessarily have been fitted as a standard part on ALL 300Ds...

...this is partly the reason why I've compiled this information.

To find the chassis number on a W123 you can find it in the following places. Please note these places are sometimes different if you've got a true Euro model (not just the headlights!) or a US model.

On US models sometimes you'll see it on the windscreen on the left hand side

On all models you should be able to find a chassis number stamped into the bulkhead / firewall in the engine bay.

Engine numbers tend to be on the BLOCK stamped on the left hand side of the engine - here left hand side is taken as though you are sitting in the car looking forwards.

Transmission numbers - should be on the right hand side of the transmission (again sitting in the car looking forwards) just above the oil pan.

Note about differentials - you are unlikely to find a part number stamped on the casting(s) that compares favourably with the part numbers in the PDF. You're more likely to find a number for the casting. However you can more easily find the final drive ratio by scraping a bit on the back of the differential as shown in the picture below.

(Picture borrowed from DeliveryValve who kind posted it here in this thread Differential identification? )
Attached Thumbnails
FSM + EPC data => Chassis / model / transmission / drive train information-auto_box-id-numbers2.jpg  
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!

Last edited by Stretch; 01-16-2012 at 03:07 AM.