View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
smoke gets in your eyes

There is a private message feature if you want to reach me directly. Click my name at the heading of this post.

Smoke from the turbo area sounds like an exhaust leak. There is a junction in the exhaust manifold between the #1 and #2 runners and the rest of the intake manifold. There is a pipe covered by a metal accordion section. I've heard of leaks from that junction. There aren't many other sources of smoke on that side of a cold engine. Is the hose from the valve cover to the turbo air inlet hose intact? You might get some smoke from the forward part of the engine if that ventilation hose is broken or not fitted properly.

Most of the clatter I hear is worn belt tensioner dampers, tired or dirty valve lifters and improperly restrained injector lines. The latter is more of a clicking. If an injector is making noise, the noise usually goes when you loosen the injector line. If you find a culprit, swap injectors with another cylinder to see if the noise moves with the injector. Don't forget new heat shields when you refit injectors. Nailing sounds like pounding a big nail into concrete.

Sixto
87 300D