View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
There really isn't a reverse gear in most planetary automatic transmissions. The selection of there power is input, what is held and where the power is output determines direction and ratio. Some Honda and Saturn cars do use a actual reverse gear.

As for the noise in reverse, try pulling back on the shifter a bit and see if the noise goes away. ( When the shifter is in reverse pull it slightly towards neutral. ) If the noise does, the parking pawl is rubbing against the parking gear.

I not familiar with this transmission specifically, are the detents for the shift linkage in the trans or just the shifter? In other words, if the linkage was disconnected from the trans the lever on the trans moved, does it click firmly into each position? If not, adjusting the shift linkage should take care of the problem. However, before adjusting, make sure the motor / trans mounts and shifter bushings are in good condition as they will affect adjustment.
I know what you mean and tried that only yesterday but I'm almost certain that the detents are in the trans itself, so there isn't much to adjust with the linkage. Good thought though. New trans mount, engine mount and linkage bushing only last month as I thought it might have been driveshaft allignment problem causing the noise.

I will check the parking pawl - have you any idea how to check this? I don't fancy being under the car running and in gear