View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
You could always become a teacher. ~ 'those who can, do, those who cant, teach. Those who cant teach, become academics."

Seriously though, teaching is an occupation with a high demand for people most places.
That's good advice. Although I've never liked that saying (probably because a family member once said it to me... ), it's an option. Nowadays, at least here in the states, you need a degree in education, or at least certification. That's kind of ironic for my situation -- I taught undergraduates for a total of 4 years while I was in college and graduate school, but somehow I'm unqualified to teach teenagers. Go figure. Anyway, if I go into another field, I'll need to return to school anyway. So I'm examining all the options.

One thing I've realized, thanks to this forum, is that I like problem solving and working with my hands. Not problem solving in the pontificating, academic sense, but the very immediate process of diagnosing and fixing a mechanical (or electrical... or vacuum) issue. So I'm more interested in something involving that cognitive process and the associated tangible 'fixing'. What exactly that will be remains to be seen...

Anyway, so I'm not completely off-topic: my wagon was in dire need of some routine maintenance for the past 3 years. I had been putting off even basic stuff, like new rotors and new accumulators, because the parts were cost prohibitive. This past Christmas, some family members offered to buy me some parts. It's was pretty generous of them. Either that, or they were tired of getting whiplash every time I drove over bumpy roads...
-1998 E320 Wagon - 310k mi - retired