View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Sing Blue Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRider View Post
(Sigh)

After WWII, my dad opened a service station in Watertown CT. He left that and followed his father's lead as a tool and die maker for the rest of his working life. My brothers and I grew up rebuilding vintage tractors, engines, motorcycles etc. often making our own parts and learning the skills needed to accomplish these restorations. My brothers and I all prsued careers in engineering- They have gone on to achieve great things in that field.

I was in the engineering department of the oldest, largest manufacturer in NW CT for many years. This firm is now gone, and the parking lots are desserted save for some isolated office use. I went back to school and graduated summa cum laude, certified to teach. I did that for one year, and could write a book on the dysfunctionality of our public education system. I spent the next 10 years in healthcare sales, and thought I had found a home. Good at what I did, I climbed that company ladder and was sure I would retire from THAT 150 year old firm. Until it was sold, and I was "seperated". That same week, my wife was laid off from her long-time IT position, a victim of outsourcing. We had always been frugal, saving and investing a significant percentage of our earnings. The economy has not been kind regarding that effort.

Fortunately my wife was re-employed after only a few months. I have gone on countless interviews, worked part time to make a few dollars and invested heavily in trying to start my own net-based business, which I am networking my butt off trying to launch. I'm also on hold in the middle of the interview process at yet another firm.

I guess this late night ramble is ultimately about many things. I believe it is a good thing to be skilled in a variety of ways, and to be flexible enough to make that an asset. I believe too, that it is important to be positive about one's self and not get depressed over things you don't control. Lastly, I'm quite certan that this is not the country I grew up in. Years of mis-management have created a world where my own kids are facing a lifetime of the uncertainty I'm just starting to deal with.

I hate even committing this to print, and reserve the right to delete it if it sticks in my craw tomorrow morning!
Leave it, sometimes it's good to vent.

Perhaps you could try teaching again? Ok I know, the system is a mess but perhaps you can find some enjoyment in making a difference in the lives of at least a handful of youngsters.