View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 PM

Location: Out in the Boonies of Hot, Dry, Dusty, Windy Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrettaman View Post
My timing chain on my 1981 300TD with ~330k miles on it broke last week. This was the original factory chain. Car otherwise ran great. No oil consumption, no loss of oil in the incident.

I was accelerating lazily from a stop light when I felt a shaking in my right foot through the accelerator pedal and heard a clanking scraping noise and then the engine died.

The cam broke and it took out a couple towers.

My mechanic is recommending a motor transplant because it would cost about as much to get in and replace the cam and towers and chain. He's concerned that the teeth on the gears might be worn and that a replacement chain could be damaged and cause another failure.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that my 6-year stint as a 123er is coming to a close. This car is in really nice shape. I'm amazed at the paint and chrome on these fabulous cars.

Part it out? Sell it as a project?

I just posted the following on the other thread you posted on, reading through this one, seems like you are going to jump in and keep her. and this not being your only set of wheels, this will give you something to do in your spare time.

Sorry to hear about your engine loss, know that sinking feeling especially when you are out in the middle of no where cruising along at 65mph.
every valve hit a piston, broke the two front cam towers, one off at the base and the other just under the bearing. cracked the valve cover, twisted the rearmost rocker and cracked the head.

If the body is in good shape, why not locate a used engine, maybe up grade to a Turbo 617.952. I see them in PNP from time to time, and not all are junk. pulled one with 97K.
some time I have seen them on Craigs List.

If you are done with the car and it`s in good shape, shame to part it out. the inventory on these is thinning down on good one`s.
really not all that difficult to R&R an engine.

Charlie

1) Not much power
2) Even less power
3) Not nearly enough power!! 240D w/auto

Anyone that thinks a 240D is slow drives too fast.

80 240D Naturally Exasperated, 4-Spd 388k DD 150mph spedo 3:58 Diff

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works