View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Stoves are great for small parts, but I wouldn't want to do a rim in it. Pretty hard to hang it or set it in a residential style oven. A pro shop is the best bet for rims.
^^^This!!

I have two ovens in storage that I've used to do my own powdercoating over the years. Both were curb finds that worked fine. I've coated all of the accessory brackets on the Durango, as well as my wife's truck. Simple to do, and inexpensive as well.

I tried my hand twice at doing rims...the oven is too small to stay at the needed constant temp to get the proper finish. To do rims, you'd need a much larger oven.

The offroad parts that I make on the side are coated by a buddy of mine that owns a larger oven. It's a 10'X12' unit he installed in his detached garage. The price for the oven was very reasonable...less than $15k, all electronic system, great if you're interested in a small, start-up business.

I'm hoping that I can get my garage built this summer so I can start customizing the Tahoe.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.