View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Patriotic Scoundrel

And now for closure of this thread:

I spent some time looking at the suspension components and following the advice here, on the Mercedes Source videos and tidbits found elsewhere on the web. Didn't find any issues in the steering or suspension with the exception of the steering dampner. Took the car to a local guy who has worked on MB and other imports for about 20 years or so. He couldn't find any run out in the rotors and agreed that suspension looked good.

Did find that the drive shaft bearing was shot. Replaced that and it cleared up about 80% of the shimmying/shaking when coming to a stop. Still had issues though.

I decided to replace the pads and rotors anyway since, in looking through my paperwork, I could not determine where I'd bought the rotors last time I did this job - around 9000 miles ago. I began to suspect that I had shot myself in the foot and purchased eBay rotors because I am an idiot at times evidently.

Spent today changing the rotors and pads. Along the way I noticed that there was a great deal of play in the left front bearing. Way more than the .02 mm or whatever it is that's allowed. No matter, changed the rotor and readjusted the bearing play to proper. rotated tires and changed out the dampner.

End result; smooth stops, no shimmies shakes or vibration. Balo rotors and Pagid pads. Hope this fixes things under there for a while, at least until I can build the garage and dig out the work pit so I don't have to lay in the dirt to do all this stuff.

Thanks for the input all!