View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 03:41 AM
I LOVE BRUNETTES

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 126nut View Post
Yes there is a bunch of crap hoses going everywhere but from what I hear the only one that means anything is the vacuum advance. I used to worry a lot about getting them all connected but from what I hear you can get rid of almost all of them with no ill effect.

Forgot about the steel tube egr line going to the lower plenum, I would give anything almost to see what this car looked like under the hood before it was hacked up with the EPA mandated stuff in order to get it legal. Did Euro cars come with EGR's and the check valve on the side of the front cover? If you RTV'd yours shut then what was there before the car was smogged?

Oh yeah and I used to have a 500 SEL 85 model that had way more guts than this 83 model. Any thoughts on engine comparisons or should they have been pretty much identical?

Pretty much as you said, just the vacuum advance is all that is really needed. The rest of the 'spaghetti' can be removed. I have my 300SEL gutted to just the basics also... HVAC and vacuum advance only. Car passed the sniffer big time last month.

Yes, ECE cars also had the EGR business. My '80 380SE had vac pump and the check valve on the passenger head.

I had the AIR pump (cold start only use) on the M117. I just removed it all as the pump was bad. Since the check valve is threaded, I just cleaned it up well then filled it with high temp RTV. The check valve on the M103 is held in with a cap screw so I just had the machine shop install a freeze plug in that location. Hell you could even weld it shut or epoxy it shut depending on how you felt.

As I understand the 'Euro' 5L had about the same HP as the US 560... around 240hp. You could have late camshafts, vacuum leaks, misadjusted CIS system, wrong base timing, low compression, etc.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]