View Single Post
Old 11-05-2002, 10:41 PM
First of all, thanks guys for the input...I appreciate it.

Here's what I found out today:

From the Texas Dept. of Transportation:
I was quite fortunate in reaching the main emissions guy in Austin who had a few suggestions as to what was wrong with my car's emissions.
1. The muffler shop put the wrong type of catalytic converter on my car...a two "something" instead of a three "something" (I forget the word).
2. The new cat might have been contaminated or faulty.

From a pretty good mechanic:
1. See above answer #1.
2. The muffler shop could have put the cat on backwards.

From the muffler shop:
1. No, we put the right catalytic converter on there...and yes it was a three "whatchamacallit", too.
2. The catalytic converter we took off was completely had NOTHING in it!
3. We put on a "universal" can't be put on backwards.

Here is what I don't get:
1. M.B. Doc, I don't know what EGR is or stands for...are those the pre-cats Steve was talking about?

2. If 16v's do have pre-cats, and they were working before WITHOUT the third lower cat, how come they stopped working when a new lower cat was installed?

3. If 16v's don't have pre-cats, how does putting on a new catalytic converter cause anything worse than NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER AT ALL???? My old catalytic converter was just a shell!!!

4. Mr. Moderator: Are you sure my cat would cost $2,000???? I looked up my specific model catalytic converter on several mercedes autoparts websites...they ranged from $100 - $300.
If the replacement 16v catalytic converter is $2000, how can anyone justify paying that much for one?

5. I watched the muffler guys remove my catalytic converter and replace it with an identical looking wasn't smaller or different looking in any respect.
87 16v
00 ML430
00 ML55

Last edited by Andrew; 11-05-2002 at 11:09 PM.