View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnierhodes View Post
Thanks for the info gents, just suctioned off a good 50ml of diesel off the top (out of the "Oel" cap filler hole), removed the plug to the right of lift pump, and topped off with Delo 400 until oil ran clean out of plug. Made a huge mess in the process... I'm guessing 50ml of diesel means somewhat tired injection pump. I know that that "Oel" cap has not been removed for near two years, so hopefully that 50ml stretched out over two years isn't a sign of impending injection pump rebuild?
Speaking from my limited experience, probably not. That doesn't seem like a huge amount to me. If a little diesel in your IP is the only issue that you're having, consider yourself blessed

Rebuilding the IP isn't something that folks ordinarily do. The only reason that I rebuilt mine was because of a small vacuum leak in the governor. While I had it out for that, I thought it prudent to take it to a Bosch shop and have them give it a once over if, for no other reason, preventative maintenance. ~$800.

My car now starts easier, smokes less, and is much smoother at idle. I haven't yet been able to test for better fuel economy, but hope to when we get nicer weather.