View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 AM

Things are getting pretty close to being ready for a first start. The engine is back in the car and I'm getting everything buttoned back up. The vacuum hoses are a nightmare... just stiff and not bending where they need to in the new configuration. I lucked out with the speedometer sensor - another 1/4 inch and I would have had to splice in an extension.

Got the heater hoses figured out. Cut down a part of the one on the car and the one on the engine and added a steel 90 degree tube and it worked out really nice. Going to use flex line for the other side.

I had picked up a nice Volvo expansion tank that I thought would be perfect. Failed to note the the MB overflow tank has three connections whereas the Volvo had only two. I've figured out how I'm going to mount the stock tank... just need to fab up a small bracket.

Put the hood back on and pulled the car off the cribs and got my first look at the stance. Using the following diagram as a reference, the factory stance should be equidistant front and back to the same relative point on the bumpers. I measured mine and I've got 1/2" difference front to back (back higher) That's with no fluids, so the weight of oil, coolant, trans etc should roughly equal fuel so things should stay pretty much right where they are.

Had one scare. I'd never actually bolted up the engine mounts so when it came time to do so today, it wouldn't work. I couldn't get the bolts through the hole. (I'm using the engine arms that are drilled all the way through and fasten with a nut). It looked like there was a little slop with the arms in the mounts and that might be the problem, so I pulled out the engine hoist and lifted the front of the engine about 1/2". Then tried again and with just a light tap from a rubber mallet they both went right through and bolted up perfectly.

A little more electrical, hoses, installing the exhaust, cleaning up the vacuum, adding filters and fluids and some other little odds and ends and it should be ready to fire up.
Attached Thumbnails
380SL Diesel Conversion Project-380-80.jpg  
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica