View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjeep View Post
I have a couple of points for you to consider...
1. Occupational hearing loss is caused by exposure to continuous noise which exceed 85 db on a 8 hour time weighted average (TWA). Louder sudden explosions, bangs & etc. also cause hearing loss. (OSHA standard requires hearing protection at this point)

2. Loud music for extended periods of time will cause hearing loss.

3. Age related hearing loss occurs at around age 50 (called Presbycusis ) This hearing loss is permanent.

4. Meneier's disease and other diseases can cause hearing loss.

5. Once someone looses their hearing from # 1 - 4 above, it is not recoverable.

6. Do you enjoy hearing birds, small sounds, engine diagnostic sounds, soft music, people's voices or having a conversation on a cell or land line telephone? Well you won't if you loose your hearing. Personal relationships, regular conversations, emergency warnings, hearing instructors in class, and other things are also greatly affected / impacted by hearing loss.

How do I know this? Professional training, observation, and personal experience. While I have a 50% hearing loss (deficit) somewhat helped by dual hearing aids, I still can't hear some things to diagnose engine issues... like vacuum leaks. I have difficulty with telephone conversations as well. It really limits me and is totally annoying and sometimes really aggravating!!! So if my offspring was going to try to make a case for having a guaranteed way for hearing loss, I'd make him walk around for a day or a week wearing hearing protection ear muffs all the time... That's what it's like for me! Hearing that is lost is a precious thing that I'll never again regain!

7. A teenager was killed the other day because he couldn't hear the train horn that ran him down. He had his MP3 volume "up" so he could "hear it". Well he heard it all right when the train ran him down and killed him. So sad!
While I think all this is extremely valuable to keep in mind (and reminds me I need to get some good ear plugs soon), I will say that having a subwoofer does not necessarily mean you're going to listen to your music louder. I actually feel I can listen to music quieter since I got a nice sound system that includes a sub. With a lousy system I'd catch myself cranking it up just to get any sort of bass or to hear any of the "details" in the music. Better system allows me to get a nice quality balance of sound and enjoy all the intricacies at a lower volume. Still a good point, though, for young drivers or for anyone, with any type of sound system. I'm guilty of occasionally getting carried away with the volume dial while listening to my favorites, especially if the windows are down.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)