View Single Post
Old 11-07-2002, 03:45 PM
I would not use anti-seize. When the tapered shaft is tightened into the tapered socket by the nut - the tapered shaft is wedged in the socket to prevent it from turning and wearing the socket bigger from rotational movement if the tie rod starts to seize. While the nut will pull the shaft tight enough so the anti-seize will not be a factor in the shaft turning under normal conditions, in a couple of years when you go to loosen the nut - the antiseize will provide enough lubrication to cause the tapered shaft to turn in the socket as you attempt to loosen the torqued nut. Ever have this? I have. The tie rod tapered shaft turns in the socket and you cannot get the nut loose. If you are lucky - a pickle fork will provide enough tension on the tie rod to keep the shaft from turning - and if you are real lucky - you won't damage the tie rod end - that is unless you don't care because it is bad. If it is good and you want to save it and are removing it to gain access to another part - good luck with a shaft lubed with anti-sieze. I still say - leave 'em dry and use the right hammer to break them free - that is how they were designed and when you tighten the nut - use a torque wrench set to the proper setting. If they are real hard to break free - was the nut overtightened - "just to make sure"?