View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark3542 View Post
I have a friend with the V6 E350. He got a couple engine codes (P0016 and 17 I believe), and turns out to be the balance shaft destroys itself. MB hasn't signed up to it, and are charging $6k or so to fix.
This balance shaft issue is an important thing to consider. MB is not consistent in their treatment of owners when there is a failure; it is my understanding that the repair usually runs more in the $4,000 range if MB decides not to goodwill all, or part, of the repair. There is information on the balance shaft issue on this site, and on benzworld, as well, with tips to determine if the motor in the car you're considering has the potential of this failure (not all cars are impacted).

Another thing to consider is the transmission electronics, especially if the car is equipped with the 722.9 / 7-speed automatic. Both the 5-speed and 7-speed automatics are prone to electronic faults in the valve body, which can cause harsh shifting and "sticking" in gear. With the 5-speed, there is a greater chance that changing out the conductor plate will cure the issues; the 7-speed often requires replacement of the valve body. $900-$2,000 repair.

Some folks also don't like the SBC (electronic brakes). I've never had a problem with them, but some people have reported rather sudden failure with greatly increased stopping distances.

I think there is a W211 buyer's guide on benzworld, and there may be one on this site, as well. It would be worthwhile reading. Catching up on deferred maintenance / repair items on a used W211 that someone has dumped because of one of the above issues can get expensive. The balance shaft problem gives you a CEL only when it has deteriorated to the point of requiring replacement. The transmission doesn't typically trigger a CEL at all, and telltale signs of valve body issues can be quite intermittent. So you can test drive one of these and think it's 100% when in fact it's not.

Not trying to dissuade you...my wife drives a 2006 E350 wagon and I really like the car, and I'm glad we purchased it. It just has not been as trouble-free as I had hoped...
'85 Mercedes 300SD (smoke silver/burgundy)
'79 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

'05 Toyota Camry (because always running is nice)

'85 Mercedes 300D sold back to orig. owner 8-1-06
'84 Volvo 264GL Diesel, owned 2000-2013