View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 PM

If it is the windshield gasket and you're going to have a shop do it, make damn sure the shop knows what they are doing, and don't just take their word for it. I'm still dealing with a poor quality install that cost me $650 (w/ gaskets), from one of the best shops in town, with MB seals, and a shop owner who swore that they had plenty of experience with vintage Benzes. Call your local MB dealer and ask who they recommend for auto glass, then rake that guy over the coals. Ask him to explain to you how the trim is mounted, how they remove it, whether he prefers OEM seals, what parts he will need because they will likely break, questions that will tip you off as to whether he is talking from experience. I'm waiting for $150 in parts from the MB dealership (on auto glass shop owners dime) to re-do the hack job that his tech did when he reinstalled my trim incorrectly with a sheet metal screw. And the OEM windshield seal I provided these people doesn't even look properly installed. After they f'ed up my car, I basically had to learn myself how the job should have been done, research and order the parts, and next I will have to take the parts to the shop and explain to the techs how it should be put back together.

I've learned the hard way; you can't just drop an MB off at a reputable shop and assume that they know what they are doing, even if on the surface it looks like do, and claim that they do. If I ever have to take my car to any shop again, I will research the repair myself and interrogate the goddam tech.