View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 10:26 AM
piefamx3

I would be thrilled if that would/could solve my problem. However, I shared my situation on another post and received info. that makes it sound like your offer will not work. I will cut & paste the info. I just received.....

Glenn:
I am very familiar with the procedure, sorry if i am coming off as unethical or unwilling to help.
There is a special tool for doing the job. I wish I could tell you exactly what it does or how it works. Well, I'll tell you what I do know:
It's a small box with several flat spades on one end of it and has a red and green button on the side. I think MB made it difficult to obtain these to protect them from falling into the wrong hands, probably not a big an issue now as when the cars were new.
The faceplate will pull off the front of the radio chassis quite easily, radio can stay in the dash to unscramble it. There are electrical plug-ins on the faceplate where it engages into the radio chassis. The small box I mentioned plugs in to these connectors on the radio chassis where the faceplate plugs in. At that point there are instruction with the tool as far as which button to push to unscramble the radio, ie "push red button and hold, turn on ignition". Follow the instructions given, then the tool is removed, the faceplate is put back on, and the radio will operate.

Gilly

ASE Master Technician
Zimbrick European
Madison, WI

...Sounds like my situation is pretty bleak w/o that tool....

By the way, I contacted my local MB Dealer here in the So. Cal. area again (11-7-02) yesterday...The Service Rep. was sympathetic, but was powerless to do anything to help.

Glenn