View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM

'87 W124 PreChambers (advice requested)

Hello All!

I have started this new thread because Search did not turn up what I'm looking for exactly.

I have a 1987 300D. 603.960 motor. #14 head And the prechambers are leaking.

The leaks are causing very hard starts. This car is not a daily driver, so after sitting all week, air gets into the system, and you have to crank all day long.

On top of the prechambers leaking, 2 of the injectors are also leaking.

To verify that the prechambers are in fact leaking, I did a "brake clean" test. I sprayed brake clean around the injectors & prechambers with the motor running. When I sprayed the back 3, brake cleaner got into the prechamber and cause some really loud knocking!! a little scary.

So, thanks to this site I figured out what tools I need. It appears that the "early" 603's use a prechamber similar to the 617. Later 603/602's require a spline shaft style socket.

So special tools are on order. The question is "How far do I go?"

Do I simply remove the injectors (fix the ones that are leaking), and torque down the Prechambers (using the proper prechamber collar tool)?

Or do I go all out, remove injectors, glow plugs, and pull the prechambers? Give the precambers a full cleaning, de-carboning, and re-install?

Am I just asking for trouble if I pull the chambers?? Can I/ should I replace the prechamber sealing rings? (I know I have to do the injector heat shields)

I want to do what's best for the car. I am big on the "while your in there" method of repairs. I also fully realize that it's sometimes best to leave well enough alone. . .

So I am looking for a collective opinion, how far should I go?? just torgue and run, or go for the full prechamber R&R?

Thanks.

I will take lots of pics, and post them up. I think the leaking prechambers are common, and there is not a ton of info or how to's for the 602/603 crowd.

Brian

2012 VW JSW TDI (on tdiclub.com all the time "btcost")