View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Benz addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMOSE View Post
What the future will bring for R107s and R129s has yet to be seen. I know I have a lot more confidence in my other two vehicles appreciating with age. But I grew up with the R107 (14 when it arrived and 32 when it departed), so I have a soft spot for it. I have driven R129s and love them! I have NEVER bought a car for investment, as I always have more into them versus what they are worth. But to me, the passion is worth it's weight in gold!

By the way, none of my observations are meant to argue or offend you in any way...it's just my point of view, having been a huge car fan since1968.

I've got you by a few years, and my "ideal" SL was the W113 pagoda. Life has a way of giving and taking, and the W113 was always just a bit more reach than I could justify, for years they have outpaced my capacity (or inclination) to spend on a toy.

I finally decided that if I was ever to get an SL again (190SL was my first Mercedes), I needed to look at the R107 cars. I intensly disliked the large crash bumpers, so that limited my choices. Back in 2005 a listmember that I had bought a car from previously offered me a 1984 280SL grey market car that had been a southwest car and had no rust at all.

Just what I needed. Small bumpers, and a six cylinder engine for economy and easy access. I like this car for it's relative simplicity compared to the R129. Don't get me wrong, the R129 is a great tour de force, but complexity is not your friend as the cars get older. I have an E320 cabriolet, and I'm happy that the R107 doesn't have that same top system. I'm no stranger to complex tops, I've owned and maintained a 64 Lincoln retractable for near 40 years....

Just because they made a lot of them doesn't mean they won't be collectable (think Mustang), but as the herd thins, the really good R107s will become coveted. This is good because it not only keeps the price managable, but also encourages support for the cars enabling you to get the parts you need to improve or maintain your car. The R107 may be common, but I'll wager it will have a better return on investment in the long run than any of it's contemporary 4 door Mercedes models. As they say, when the top goes down, the price goes up.

I've got a good friend who has owned a 91 500SL for near ten years and I've got a pretty good idea what it takes to work on his car. I prefer the simplicity of the R107, as I feel it's more in keeping with the mission of the car. I love the way the R129 performs, and I like the looks, but I do not think I'd want to trade my 280SL for one.

Again, just my opinion, and the fact that I've got to divide my time and resources across a number of old cars probably enters into my opinion. I sold my 1969 6.3 years ago when I realized I could have 1 nice 6.3 or I could have several other cars for the same amount of effort and cost....

Jim
85 300TD 4 spd man, euro bumpers and lights, 15" Pentas dark blue 274k miles