View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Vacuum diagnostic help - 77 240d 4 speed manual

My calipers are sticking, and someone here suggested it could be the vacuum pump as a culprit, so I am trying to check out my vacuum pump. This scenario makes sense for me, because as long as I've had the car, I've never had the car shut off with the key, I always have to kill it by letting out the clutch (sorry if reading that makes you cringe).
So, this may make me the newest recipient of a dunce cap, but can someone look at my photos here, and tell me if I'm testing the vacuum pump right, more specifically, is this ACTUALLY the vacuum pump? It doesn't look the same as any of the pumps I've seen pictures of.
This first picture shows me replacing the hose with the mityvac,Camera+ photo The second one I use a 3 way connector and keep the hose connected, Camera+ photo
And the third photo I just want to make sure - if you look closely you will see a connecting part with no hose attached (the hose is on the right, if you look towards the bottom of the presumed pump there is a connector begging for a line. http://campl.us/gvg9BPFBlV6

I'm getting a zero reading on my mityvac, which is why this isn't just self explanatory for me.
Please help!
And feel free to call me out if I am completely lost, I've never attempted anything with the vacuum system.