View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 AM

My man, I think our cars could be twins.

I've only been a Benz owner for less than a year now. However, I'm beginning to think that stamping out smoke on these 616s is like trying to rid your yard comletely of dandelions - it's a fool's errand.

I've had my IP rebuilt, rolled in a new timing chain, and had the valve seals replaced all within the last 6 months. Injectors are also new and the valves were adjusted when the seals were replaced. Fuel filters and fuel lines are also new and all fluids are fresh. The only differences between mine and yours are that I have lower compression and I use perhaps a 1/2 quart of oil in 2,000 miles.

Despite this, I still have some smoke. There's a hint of whitish smoke on cold idle at start up and a bit of black smoke when I get on the throttle or climb steep hills.

I have another set of injectors that I had rebuilt and will install them in due course. I'll also rebuild the vacuum pump as a preventative measure. But after that, this game of "whack a mole" has to end.

There is one good thing to come from all this work, however. My engine sounds silky smooth. No knocking, no nailing, and no hicccups. The only underhood sounds you hear are the clickity click of fuel injectors popping and the combustion inside the engine. So long as this continues to be the case and my oil consumption doesn't increase, I should consider everything else to be inconsequential.