View Single Post
Old 04-04-2000, 12:08 PM
I have a very well-maintained 1986 300SDL which I love.

My brakes were working, but squeaky. An independent mechanic recommended turning the rotors and installing new pads. I did so, to the tune of $280. When I got the car back, the brakes were still squeaky, the steering wheel shimmied when I braked, and every now and again, the brakes moaned B flat above middle C.

A week and a half after this brake job, I lost my brakes on the highway. The pedal went to the floor. I regained about 5% of my brake power, enough to safely get me off the road, but pumping the brakes did nothing.

I took the car to the local Mercedes Service Center, and asked for a thorough inspection of my braking system. The result: four rotors ground below minimum spec, and two failed rear calipers.

My question: How likely is it that the rear calipers failed at the same time, showing no prior warning (obviously, if the calipers had been leaking or cracked a week prior, the mechanic should have told me). The independent mechanic insists that the age of the car is at fault.

I happen to think that the calipers were put in incorrectly. I can try to force the original mechanic to pay for the $1200-$1500 dollars worth of repair, but not if it's not his fault.

Any advice would be much appreciated.